Dear Graduate Students:

Your help is needed!  The UTK campus has embarked on developing a new strategic plan that will take the university through the next decade and beyond.  A small group of faculty and administrators are now in the planning phase and our intention is to broaden the current scope of the plan and seek input from a variety of stakeholders on campus (faculty, students, staff and administrators).  In order to achieve this we are scheduling a series of focus groups which will be led by trained facilitators.  What we seek from you are note-takers that can attend some of the focus group meetings and work with the facilitators in capturing the data that will result.  This is a terrific opportunity for SIS masters students and CCI doctoral students to learn about and develop insights and skills in organizing and conducting focus groups.  This quantitative method of gathering data is very common in libraries and information centers for capturing data in order to evaluate systems and services.  If you plan to work in a library you will have gained a very critical management skill by participating in this project.  If you are a doctoral student you most definitely would benefit from the experience, especially if your intended research methodology is qualitative.  Even if your research method is quantitative you can use this experience to balance your research perspective.  I am looking for about 10-15 volunteers that would coordinate with the facilitators a focus group schedule that suits your time commitments.  I expect that the investment in time will be about 3-4 hours.  Finally, when we are all done you can look forward to nice dinner at one of the downtown restaurants or perhaps at my home.  Please contact me soon if you are interested.

Yours,

Ed Cortez

Edwin-Michael Cortez, PhD
Director & Professor