On 2/10/2010 9:40 AM, R.E. Riker wrote:
> Hi Mary,
>
> Another possibility is to use an access point that has its own
> built-in DHCP server.  We selected NETGEAR WG302s (~$180).  We have 3
> (1 for our main floor, 1 for our basement, and 1 for our auditorium).

How do you have them connected?

Here in Hailey, Idaho I have two access points.  The first has its WAN
port connected to the library network.  It does Network Address
Translation (NAT) and runs as a DHCP server for both access points.  The
two access points are connected to the LAN connections on both.  The WAN
port, and DHCP server on the second access point are shut down.

                 |                                  |
                 |  wireless              wireless  |
< To Library    |                                  |
    LAN    |-----------|                      |------------|
----------|WAN     LAN|----------------------|LAN         |
  Fixed IP |    AP1    |Fixed IP     Fixed IP |    AP2     |
           |___________|                      |____________|

            NAT, DHCP Server                  Wireless Access
            4 port switch                     4 port switch
            Wireless Access                   All other services
                                              shutdown

This establishes a second network with its own IP address range that is
separate from the Library LAN.  All wireless connections pass through a
single IP address assigned on the Library LAN.  Additional access points
can be connected to any of the LAN connections on any of the access
points, just be sure not to use the WAN connection on more than one
access point, and shut down the all unneeded services on all the rest of
the access points.

Rick Widmer
IT Manager
Hailey Public Library