The Association of Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies (ASCLA) and the Reference and User Services Association (RUSA) have a multitude of professional development events on the agenda at the upcoming 2010 ALA Annual Conference.

Below is a list of our preconferencesfull and half-day workshops that tackle timely topics and offer excellent networking and skill-sharpening opportunities. Learn more about the events by clicking on the blog links below the descriptions.

Register now at www.ala.org/annual. If you can’t join us for the entire conference, why not join us for the day? Select “Preconferences and Ticketed Events Only” as your registration type, then select your preconference from the list.

If you’re not an ASCLA or RUSA member, you’re missing out on valuable savings and vital professional connections. Contact our membership team at 1-800-545-2433, option 5, and get on board with our exciting and active member groups.

Thanks in advance for forwarding this e-mail to your colleagues and friends who might be interested in these events!

PS--**EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION FOR ANNUAL ENDS MARCH 5!** Why not sign up for the conference while you’re registering for one of these fantastic events?

Assembling a Consulting Toolkit: What You Need to Know to Become a Successful Library Consultant

Friday, June 24, 9am-5pm

An overview of library consulting for attendees, who will discover through self-assessment their personal consulting potential, and also work together to explore different roles that consultants play, services consultants may deliver to clients, and how to market consulting services, find clients and manage a consulting business. Advance registration: starts at $185 for ASCLA members

http://ascla.ala.org/blog/2010/02/ac2010-consulting1/

Behind the Genealogy Reference Desk: Our Capital’s Hidden Genealogy Gems

Friday, June 24, 8:30am-5pm

A valuable professional development opportunity for both new reference librarians, who will benefit from the fundamental tools presented at this event, as well as experienced genealogy librarians looking for a refresher course. Speakers include experienced research staff from both the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum and the Daughters of the American Revolution Library. Advance registration: starts at $100 for RUSA members

http://rusa.ala.org/blog/2010/01/26/ac2010-genealogypreconf1/

Giving People What They Want: Information Access in Libraries and Beyond

Friday, June 24, 9am-5pm

A thought-provoking examination of technology and how its pervasive development is challenging traditional approaches to resource-sharing and content access. Presenters will discuss users’ different information-seeking behaviors and how they differ significantly from how libraries have traditionally provided information, among other timely topics. Advance registration: starts at $205 for ASCLA members

http://ascla.ala.org/blog/2010/02/ac2010-sharing-preconf1/

Interlibrary Loan Statistics: What We Gather, How We Use Them, and Who We Provide Them To

Friday, June 24

Resource sharing practitioners will learn how to sort through the myriad of ILL statistics available from a variety of sources, and how to use this data to provide quality service—a valuable event for those involved with interlibrary loan, document delivery and remote circulation, as well as consortia and network members. Advance registration: starts at $140 for RUSA members

http://rusa.ala.org/blog/2010/01/26/stars-ac10preconf1/

Reference Evolution: Envisioning the Future, Remembering the Past

Friday, June 24, 9am-5pm

An opportunity to participate in a lively discussion of the current state of the profession, to see beyond the hype and identify where things are actually headed. acknowledging traditional reference tools and skills that remain relevant, and projecting how newer technologies will better serve patrons. Advance registration: starts at $175 for RUSA members

http://rusa.ala.org/blog/2010/02/12/ac2010-refevolutionpreconf-1/