Research assistant position

For your information.  Shih-Lung

From: Cherry, Chris R (Christopher Cherry)
Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 3:53 PM
To: Ralston, Bruce A; Shaw, Shih-Lung
Subject: Research assistant position

Bruce and Shih-Lung,

I am looking for a research assistant. I’ve sent an email to the EECS listserves, but without much luck. Someone with the required skills might reside in your department. Please let me know if you know anyone who can meet the job description below and please send this out to any appropriate listserve.

I am an Assistant Professor in Civil Engineering working on a research project funded by the USDOT (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and Research and Innovative Technology Administration). This research focuses on improving truck safety by initiating an automated, wireless roadside inspection system. We are in the process of evaluating three pilot tests using different communication technologies. I am looking for a student who can work in a team environment and help manage the evaluation of one of these pilot tests. Importantly, this student can complement our existing team by providing skills the help manage the data collection aspects of the evaluation. Required skills include database management and manipulation, developing automated analysis routines, developing a user interface for data upload, and managing data security. The ideal candidate would have experience with  Oracle or other enterprise database and be proficient in SQL  & PL/SQL, MS  Excel (to create charts/graphs), and XML. The expected workload is up to 20 hours per week with a possibility to work until May 2011. The position will also require some regional travel, particularly this summer, so a driver’s license is required. The position is open to undergraduate or graduate students with the above qualifications and pay will follow typical undergraduate or graduate pay scales. If interested, send a resume to Chris Cherry, [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask].

Chris