I hope everyone had a great first week of practice! I have already received
many club dues and insurance cards- thank you! Remember, your $45 semester
membership fee is due by your third practice. If you do not have your dues
ready by then, you will not be allowed to practice. Cash or check is
acceptable. If check, make out to: "Martial Arts Club at UT". It is
essential that the check be written this way! Also, Sports Clubs is missing
some waivers- we may ask you to fill out another- bear with us!

*Wado-Ryu:* As the time draws nearer to your tournament/event, we will be
asking for more paperwork and details. Thanks for the notice in advance!

*Kendo:* I am still working on extra practice room and will let you know
when I get more details. Currently, Club Sports has scheduled a meeting with
TREC management- good so far!!

*Judo:* Important! Over the next couple of months there will be a large
number of tournaments. We plan to go to most (if not all) that are attached
below. These events take a large amount of time to plan and prepare for the
club. This means that your half of the investment will be committing (or not
committing) to the events in which you want to participate. The deadlines
for committing to each tournament are listed on the chart. Be sure to keep
in mind lectures, exams, class assignments and projects when signing up for
a tournament. Family, church, work, and school exemptions apply and are all
first priorities. I cannot stress the importance of communication and
commitment this semester.

If you want to compete or travel to an important tournament which requires a
commitment months in advance, you will be *expected* to show a large
commitment to your fellow members at practice. If you choose to cancel your
reservations or plans without reasonable notice, the situation will be
discussed and decided upon by the club and its executive members. Also, if
there is any unacceptable behavior, your situation (tournament reservations
and/or privileges) will likewise be discussed and decided upon. Always keep
Dr. Kano's two tenets in mind inside and out of the dojo.

   - Event date               *Event *      *Deadline for you to commit*

   - 2/20/10*    TN State Games Nashville*,     *2/3/10*
   - 2/27/10*    **Mayfield- Jackson NC*,            *2/10/10*
   - 3/6/10      *Midwest- Waukegan Il*,           *2/13/10*
   - 3/13/10    *Collegiate Nationals- Texas*,   *2/13/10*
   - 3/20/10    *Rebel Invit.- Owenton KY*,      *3/3/10*
   - 3/27/10    *Bushido Judo- Durham NC*,   *3/10/10*
   - 4/3/10      *Peachtree- GA*,                      *3/17/10*
   - 4/25/10    *Visalia*- CA,                           *3/31/10*
   - 4/30/10    *Senior Nationals*,                    *.....*

*All: *If you have questions about traveling or events with the club, feel
free to ask any of our veterans. There has not been a time when we have
failed to have a good experience on our trips! Sports Clubs pays for our
lodging, travel, and entry fees- you don't want to miss out on this great
opportunity to learn some martial arts and get to know the Club! I am very
excited about this semester! We will have many opportunities to represent
our University and engage in some great martial arts! If you have ANY
concerns or questions, speak to myself, Matt, or Instructors.

Tucker Netherton

Pres, UTMA