Aside from the question of faculty finding academic slots after finishing
their program,
it should also be useful for doctoral students to understand what is the
environment before they even begin and be also aware of.  It could also just
be someone did not like your background say, as a librarian, and where "you
come from" in terms of perspectives of how others may see "you" for a
variety of reasons.

I don't know if these are already on the bibliography, but they are some I
have come across in the NY TImes and Inside Higher Education

It is also important to consider how the "old" academy is changing and may
not be the
same for todays doctoral candidates who are successful in getting past
coursework.
 / Best, Karen W

Bousquet, Marc.   How the University Works:
Higher Education and the Low-Wage Nation

http://howtheuniversityworks.com/wordpress/

p. 31

..."For graduate employees, the overwhelming consciousness of one’s
disposability all too frequently lends the aura of concreteness to the
ideology
of “market.” But the erasure of graduate-employee labor knowledge
also takes the more active forms of direct suppression. In organizing
campaigns,* the suppression of labor knowledge by administrations*
can take the form of nonrenewal of the fellowships and assistantships of
organizers, as well as punitive recommendations by advisers—even,
occasionally,
expulsion. It can take the form of illegal harassment, as Joel
Westheimer charged in the NLRB complaint he successfully settled with
NYU after being denied tenure at NYU subsequent to testifying in support
of graduate-employee unionists (Fogg). Most often, though, direct
suppression of labor knowledge by administrations and disciplinary
institutions
takes the form of the kind of pervasive information warfare
conducted, for example, by MLA’s staff and executive council in response
to resolutions by the organization’s assembly in support of Yale
University’s GEU. In this instance, typical of the control that the staff
and officers of MLA sought to impose on the organization’s processes of
self-governance throughout the 1990s, organization staffers mailed out
a twelve-page propaganda leaflet attempting to shore up the administrative
position on the labor dispute (hoping, unsuccessfully, that the membership
would decline to ratify the measure). As Bérubé notes, this completely
one-sided document was circulated, without any sense of irony,
under the claim that it attempted to preserve “diversity of opinion” on
the question, and it became part of a continuing pattern by MLA officers
and staff of containing graduate-employee dissent (56–58).5"

The wiki of the
Coalition of Graduate Employee Unions
(CGEU)

http://cgeu.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

CGEU consists of labor unions and organizing drives in the United States and
Canada that represent graduate and undergraduate students employed as
teachers, tutors, researchers, and administrative staff. This wiki is for
the Graduate Employee Movement. Its aim is to foster collaborative online
organizing and information sharing.

"Everyone has the right to form and to join trade unions for the protection
of his interests." -- from Article 23, Universal Declaration of Human
Rights, 1948

http://www.cs.indiana.edu/how.2b/how.2b.html

"How to Be a Good Graduate Student"

Marie desJardins
March 1994
Abstract

"This paper attempts to raise some issues that are important for graduate
students to be successful and to get as much out of the process as possible,
and for advisors who wish to help their students be successful. The intent
is not to provide prescriptive advice -- no formulas for finishing a thesis
or twelve-step programs for becoming a better advisor are given -- but to
raise awareness on both sides of the advisor-student relationship as to what
the expectations are and should be for this relationship, what a graduate
student should expect to accomplish, common problems, and where to go if the
advisor is not forthcoming."

Introduction

"This article originated with a discussion I had with several women
professors about the problems women face in graduate school, and how more
women could be encouraged to go to graduate school in computer science.
Eventually, the conversation turned to the question of what these women
could do in their interactions with women students to support and encourage
them. I volunteered that over the course of my graduate career I had
collected a variety of papers and e-mail discussions about how to be a good
advisor, how to get through graduate school, and issues facing women. They
were eager to get this material, and I told them I would sort through it
when I got a chance.
After mentioning this project to a number of people, both graduate students
and faculty -- all of whom expressed an interest in anything I could give
them -- I realized two things: first, the issues that we were talking about
really were not just women's issues but were of interest to all graduate
students, and to all caring advisors. Second, in order to disseminate the
information I had collected (and was starting to collect from others) it
seemed to make more sense to compile a bibliography, and write a paper that
would summarize the most useful advice and suggestions I had collected."

"I solicited inputs from friends and colleagues via mailing lists and
Internet bulletin boards, and collected almost an overwhelming amount of
information. Sorting through it and attempting to distill the collective
wisdom of dozens of articles and hundreds of e-mail messages has not been an
easy task, but I hope that the results provide a useful resource for
graduate students and advisors alike. The advice I give here is directed
towards Ph.D. students in computer science and their advisors, since that is
my background, but I believe that much of it applies to graduate students in
other areas as well."

---------------
also
Mama PhD
http://www.mamaphd.com/

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Jean-François Blanchette <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> 1) Is the professoriate in our field concerned about the future of doctoral
>> students who don't become faculty members?
>> 2a) If yes, how do we manifest that concern?
>> 2b) If no, should we?

Karen Weaver, MLS, Adjunct Faculty, Cataloging & Classification, The iSchool
at Drexel University, Philadelphia PA email:
[log in to unmask] Electronic Resources Statistician,
Duquesne University, Gumberg Library,
Pittsburgh PA email: [log in to unmask]