From: Sue Easun <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: On learning about how to be a faculty member
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, January 21, 2010, 9:37 PM

Suzanne, your point may be true for those who aren't planning to become faculty
members.  But what about those who would like to but don't get to be faculty
members, for any number of reasons.

I absolutely agree that anyone intent on becoming a faculty member would do well
to know what (s)he is getting into.  (During my days at Berkeley, we doctoral
students created our own noncredit course, and it was pretty darned cuttin' edge.)
But neither did we include a segment on life outside the academy.

If the rest of the world is expected to hold up to five different positions over the
course of a working life, what makes us think the professoriate is immune?  Or that
tenure is going to be granted, never mind achievable, even ten years from now?

This is the time to discuss things like the possibility of running an institution like
IMLS, or taking an entrepreneurial spin, or the various other positions in which we
often find ourselves, wondering how we got there :-)

Sue