Colleagues,

I had the pleasure of being a student of Dr. Hunt's as I earned my MLS degree from Florida State University ('96). I was saddened to read this thread today, but I also smiled as I read over the details of her life. She was a delightful, warm, and caring professor and person. I enjoyed the classes I took from her very much, and have never forgotten her since that time. Thanks for sharing this news. This is a sad loss in our world, but didn't she live a wonderful, full life?

Lori Franklin, LMS, NBCT
Olathe East High School
14545 W 127th St.
Olathe, KS 66062
913.780.7120  FAX 913.780.7130
http://teachers.olatheschools.com/oelibrary/

>>> "Branciforte, Robert" <[log in to unmask]> 12/22/2009 3:01 PM >>>
FSU's Mary Alice Hunt: Remembering a life of service to librarianship

TALLAHASSEE, FL. Mary Alice Hunt, retired professor emeritus of the
School of Library & Information Studies at The Florida State University,
passed away at her home on Saturday, December 19, 2009.

Hunt was born in Lima, Ohio on April 14, 1928. She graduated from Ocala
High School in 1946 and enrolled at Florida State University, where she
earned a degree in journalism.

During 1951-1952, she was employed by the Tallahassee Democrat and
interviewed Dr. Louis Shores, dean of the School of Library Science at
Florida State. Shores convinced Hunt to earn her master's degree in
library science and awarded her a graduate assistantship. In 1954, Hunt
became an assistant to Shores. She then served as librarian for the
Florida State University School (Florida High), became an instructor,
and then assistant professor, of library science. In the early 1970s,
Hunt took a leave of absence to earn her PhD at Indiana University
before returning to teach at FSU.

During her career she served the American Library Association (ALA) in
many significant areas-member of the Newbery-Caldecott Committee, chair
of the Newberry-Caldecott Committee, board member of the Association of
Library Service to Children (a division of ALA)-and was elected as an
ALA Council member several times.

Hunt was a founding member of the Gamma Chapter of Beta Phi Mu, the
international library and information science honor society. She served
as president of the organization and was named outstanding member in
2005.

In 1995, she retired from the School of Library and Information Studies
as professor emeritus. The school named the predecessor of what is now
known as the "Mary Alice Hunt Learning Laboratories" for her. Hunt
worked for two years researching and writing a history of the School of
Library Science at FSU. She established the Mary Alice Hunt Endowed
Scholarship.

Until shortly before her death, she remained quite active-serving on the
FSU College of Communication & Information Leadership Board, attending
conferences and retired faculty club functions, and taking two art
classes. Hunt entered her paintings and pastels in numerous art shows
and won many ribbons for them.

Service plans will be announced after the holidays. Memorial
contributions may be made to the Mary Alice Hunt Endowed Scholarship
Fund, Florida State University Foundation, 2010 Levy Ave., P.O. Box
3062739, Tallahassee, FL 32306-2739.

Source: Tallahassee.com, December 22, 2009 (Published in the Tallahassee
Democrat, December 22, 2009)

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/tallahassee/obituary.aspx?n=mary-alice-
hunt&pid=137640388

Bob Branciforte, MLIS

Creative Director

College of Communication & Information

The Florida State University

[log in to unmask]      E-MAIL

(850) 644-3391                      PHONE

(850) 644-9253                      FAX

Florida State University           ADDRESS

Room 021 LSB

142 Collegiate Loop

PO Box 3062100

Tallahassee, Florida 32306-2100

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is from the Olathe District Schools. The message and any attachments may be confidential or privileged and are intended only for the individual or entity identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, you are not authorized to read, copy or distribute this message or any attachments. We ask that you please delete this message and any attachments and notify the sender by return email or by phone (913) 780-7000.