Did I ask a "question" ?...
 I'm responding to Mr. Leonhardt's comment below about wanting to hire entry level librarians over librarians with more experience.  I didn't have a question --the only question on this thread I had was to Ian Johnson about the Robert Gordon University Business School which he answered the other day.

I don't anyone expects what you are describing Sue, however, it is important for all librarians and LIS educators to understand what libraries do and provide beyond a "theory".
That is very nice to have one's research niche however, that niche is not the same for LIS educators either as it once was 20 or 30 yrs ago, nor should it be expected to be either.
What is happening now in the U.S. in some graduate programs is that there are less and less faculty experienced too who have even been inside a library physically or virtually.
When we see that happening more and more, less and less new grads hitting the ground running or not--will not be getting positions anywhere beyond answering the phone or the email chats.  It is not about "training" either--it's about education. we train dogs.
I think that too is another old discussion from about 2 years ago here.
We also discussed the differences between the U.S and also Australian LIS programs at that time as well from what I recall.
ps I'd gladly trade some winter snow here for your heat in Australia !  :-)

Cheers,
Karen

Karen Weaver, MLS
Adjunct Faculty, Cataloging & Classification
The iSchool at Drexel University
Philadelphia PA
email: [log in to unmask]
/Electronic Resources Statistician