Generally speaking I am in agreement with Susan on most issues here. We'll
address the LIS/InfoSci split at another time and venue.

Most of the reasoning here can be summed up in a phrase used by a former
colleague of mine:

"The LIS schools are in charge of education. Practice (broadly defined) is in
charge of training." That's not exact, but you get the idea.

No library director should expect a newly minted librarian to know all the ins
and outs of practice at a particular institution. When I started as a
librarian
back in the dark ages somebody on staff was intensely annoyed that I did not
know what a "P slip" was. In the Air Force they were known as "snowflakes," a
term totally unknown to the person complaining about my lack of knowledge.

Charley Seavey
Ranganathan said it all!