Would those school librarians also be in a teachers union with retirement
and benefits invested over the years ?  Also, in the case of school
librarianship, would the Ed.D or "PhD Lite" be more the career path in
school librarianship?

I was recently reading about :
The Carnegie Project on the Education Doctorate

"Who we are:  CPED members are institutions who are committed to working
together to undertake a critical examination of the doctorate in education
with a particular focus on the highest degree that leads to careers in
professional practice."

"Today, the EdD is perceived as "PhD-lite.  More important than the public
relations problem, however, is the real risk that schools of education are
becoming impotent in carrying out their primary missions to prepare leading
practitioners as well as leading scholars.  The Carnegie Project on the
Education Doctorate is working to ensure that the academy moves forward on
two fronts:  rethinking and reclaiming the research doctorate (the PhD) and
developing a distinct professional practice doctorate (the P.P.D), whether
we continue to call it an EdD or decide to give it another name."
  ---Lee S. Shulman, Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching

"The PhD is to understand the world.  The EdD is to change the world."
--Gordon Kirk, University of Edinburgh

from the website  :  http://cpedinitiative.org

Duquesne University, School of Education is part of the Carnegie Project on
the Education Doctorate.

Best, Karen
~~~~~~~
Karen Weaver, MLS, Adjunct Faculty, Cataloging & Classification, The iSchool
at Drexel University, Philadelphia PA email:
[log in to unmask] Electronic Resources Statistician,
Duquesne University, Gumberg
Library,Pittsburgh PA email: [log in to unmask]

*"*Work has a greater effect than any other technique of living in the
direction
 of binding the individual more closely to society."
                                     --Sigmund Freud, Civilization and its
Disconents