Seems like the most important point is the "gratis vs. libre" distinction:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_as_in_speech

It is not the lack of commercial fees that is of the highest
significance in these initiatives, it's rather the ready availability
of their content for quotation, remixing, and redistribution.
Avoiding the lock-up of human knowledge and culture--where wealthy
corporations and institutions are the only legitimate remixers--is
anathema to vigorous cultural and intellectual exchange (so the
argument goes).

--LD

--
Lane DeNicola, Ph.D.