I've never quite understood academic libraries' promotion of "openness."
How does it advance education when libraries are pressured to spend millions
on proprietary databases, students are urged and taught to use them, and
B.I. programs emphasize them? And why should all information be free anyway?
A lot of what's free is marginally useful. Many people in many industries
work very hard and are paid - some very well - to generate, experiment with,
organize, publish, and test information. Who is supposed to be paying them?
Granted, there are many useful databases and content management systems
containing information based on open access. But no serious user group could
ever be satisfied by them alone. And usually, "experts" end up managing them
- which limits access - anyway.

--
A scholar is just a library's way of making another library.