I-9/Everify Tips

Cathy Milligan <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 2 Sep 2016 12:32:26 -0400

text/plain

Greetings Everyone!

I wanted to take this time to remind you all of a few things:

Once an offer for employment has been made and accepted, employees can
complete the Form I-9. The sooner the better, however, employees MUST
complete the Form I-9 ON or BEFORE their first physical day of work.
Employees completing their I-9 AFTER their first physical day of work is an I-9
violation and we could be fined.

Correcting the Form I-9: If you discover an error in Section 1 of an
employee’s Form I-9, you should ask your employee to correct the error.
The best way to correct the form is to:

*Draw a line through the incorrect information (No blocking or white out) Be
sure NOT to conceal any errors on the form.
*Enter the correct information
*Initial AND date the correction
To correct multiple errors, the employee may complete a new Form I-9.

Only employers may correct errors made in Section 2.  Although an  I-9 may
need correcting, please remember we only have 3 days to get them Everified
and an I-9 cannot be processed until it is complete and correct.

Remote Hire Form:

Occasionally, a department may hire an employee who will be paid by the
University yet will not physically work at the University or the employee
cannot physically be present with their documents to complete a Form I-9. It
is the hiring departments responsibility to complete the Remote Hire Form and
to locate an authorized agent (either an employee at another university or a
Notary Public) to act on our behalf. Please be aware that YOU are responsible
for the Authorized Agent to complete the I-9 and for it to be correct. We
need the original Remote Hire Forms returned. The Remote Hire Form can be
located at our HR website under forms at:  HR.utk.edu

I’d like to remind you of our new email for submitting I-9’s: [log in to unmask]
This eliminates the need for you to carbon copy anyone in the event of my
absence. Please encourage anyone you know who handles I-9’s or may be
new in your department to sign up for our Listserv at OIT’s website. Lastly, I
have an I-9 class coming up November 8, 2016 9:00-11:30 at the Conference
Center Building in room 238. This is a valuable class with a lot of information
and an opportunity for you to ask questions. Please call EOD at 974-6657 to
sign up.

GBO! ~Cathy Milligan