]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SSSP-G Home

SSSP-G  May 2011

SSSP-G May 2011

Message to SSSP Graduate Student members

Louis Esparza <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 11 May 2011 11:40:44 -0400

text/plain

Dear Graduate Students,

We are Mandy and Louis and we would like to offer a warm welcome to all
new and returning graduate student members of SSSP. We are in the midst of
preparing for what is sure to be an excellent conference. As you draft and re-
draft your papers (and perhaps researching things to do in Vegas) we would
like to point you to some important deadlines that are all too quickly
approaching on our new SSSP Graduate student listserv.

1) If you have not already done so, please do not forget to register for the
conference at
http://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/354/fuseaction/ssspconf.portal. The
deadline for program participants to pre-register for the meeting is at the end
of this month, on May 31. In order further to make the conference more
affordable for graduate students, SSSP offers a helpful roommate-matching
program. This should be requested on the registration form by June 30 in
order to be accommodated. Please do book through the conference hotel, for
which the SSSP staff has obtained very affordable prices.

2) Many student paper competitions are still open, and several deadlines also
come up at the end of the month, on June 1. This is an excellent opportunity
to share your work, be invited to an awards panel, and reinforce your career.
You can find a list of Division-sponsored competitions and their deadlines at
http://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/296.

3) You may not be aware that SSSP offers a graduate-faculty mentorship
program. This is a superb opportunity to be paired with an experienced voice
in SSSP. Louis has participated in this program and has received great advice.
If you are interested in participating, please apply to the meeting mentor
program by the deadline, June 30. You can find information about how to
apply at http://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/312.

4) We are not students forever and we are constantly looking for more
graduate students to run for the student representative position on the Board
of Directors. If you are interested in developing our community further, please
do consider running for office. Nominations for next year are due on June 15.
Self-nominations are welcome! Visit http://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/196
for details.

5) We hope to see you at the many fun graduate student socializing events
that occur at SSSP. This year, our always happenin’ Graduate Student Happy
Hour starts at 10pm on Friday, August 19. Come hang out with old friends and
make new ones! If you are interested in issues of SSSP student governance,
have some suggestions of what SSSP could be doing, or want to hear about
recent developments, come to our Student Business Meeting at 8:30am on
Friday, August 19. We will go about an hour. Check out the program for more
information about locations and additional networking opportunities at the
Welcoming reception and the division-sponsored reception. You can find the
2011 Annual Meeting page at http://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/392.

6) One thing we love about SSSP is that we are willing to stand up on the
issues. If you are interested in introducing a resolution for SSSP to consider
endorsing, please do so by July 1. More information about how to do this is
available at http://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/411. Just last year, two
students sponsored a resolution for SSSP to endorse the Clean Water Act. You
can make it happen!

We are excited about meeting all of you in August. We have found SSSP to be
very open to graduate student voices and we know you will too. Should you
have any questions please do not hesitate to write to us.

See you in Vegas,

Mandy Frake-Mistak

Louis Esparza

---
SSSP-G is an infrequent announcement list for active student members in the
Society for the Study of Social Problems. If you would prefer not to receive
these emails, please contact [log in to unmask] or