]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

JESSE Home

JESSE  April 2011

JESSE April 2011

Re: Doctoral Expectations and Frameworks

"David E. Beard" <[log in to unmask]>

Open Lib/Info Sci Education Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 10 Apr 2011 21:18:26 -0500

text/plain

Anthony Bernier,

I appreciate the friendly amendments to my original post, and I'd like
an opportunity to expand:

When I spoke about a "time before Theory" and a "time after Theory,"
my oh-so clever capitalizing was designed to shorthand something I
should have made clearer.  I meant:

There was a time before the time in which scholars developed a sense
that they needed to describe their research in terms of a "theoretical
framework."  And there is much good, peer-reviewed research done today
that feels no obligation to articulate such a theoretical framework as
a precondition to good work.  And there may be a time [in the
humanities or in LIS or in rhet/comp] "after Theory," in which
scholarly communities which felt the need to articulate their
frameworks may no longer feel that obligation.

How does such change happen?  The conventions of peer review, after
all, change over time as norms for scholarly work change.  [It is the
responsibility of faculty in a PhD program to articulate these norms
and to inculcate the scholarly habitus that allows doctoral students
to produce work that meets these norms.]

This was not meant to imply that work is ever done without a
theoretical framework, explicit or tacit.  Theoretical frames are as
essential to research as ideology is to thinking.  We do not
articulate our ideological position before every act of thinking,
though clearly, it would be impossible to think from a perspective
"outside ideology."

I appreciate the nuance you have brought to my thought!

--

David Beard
Associate Professor of Rhetoric, Scientific and Technical Communication

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended
recipient, any disclosure, distribution, or the taking of any action
in reliance on the contents of the e-mail or attached files is
prohibited.

This correspondence is not private and may be subject to access by the
State or Federal Government, as I am a public employee.  Matters of a
personal or political nature should be sent to my gmail account: