Font:

LISTSERV Archives

GRADNEWS Home

GRADNEWS  September 2010

GRADNEWS September 2010

UT VolAware Initiative

Graduate Student Senate <[log in to unmask]>

Graduate Student Senate <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 Sep 2010 18:08:05 +0000

text/plain

Dear Graduate Teaching or Research Assistant,

As we begin a new semester, many students are filled with hope and anxiety surrounding classes and social life. By learning about mental health, wellness and suicide prevention, GAs can be prepared to help students manage the challenges of a new school year. The VolAware Committee invites you to participate and promote several upcoming activities addressing these issues.

On Tuesday, October 12th from 4pm to 9pm, the 3rd annual Stomp out Stigma Concert will take place in Presidential Court. It will feature JayStorm, popular local musician, as well as a “Stroll- Off Competition” performed by the UT National Pan-Hellenic Council, Inc. The Stomp out Stigma concert hopes to promote college student mental health awareness and provide an opportunity for students to enjoy music, vote for their favorite UT step group, learn about resources in the community, relax, and have fun. The event is free to all UT students, faculty and staff. Stop by for the music, performances, door prizes, and giveaways!

The 5th annual VolAware Street Fair will take place October 13, 2010, 11am-4pm on the UC Plaza.  Activities include engaging informational booths from campus and local area mental health and wellness representatives. At the wellness plaza, participants can learn about the importance of personal wellness and engage in wellness-oriented activities such as yoga, mindfulness, biofeedback, arts and crafts and play.  We will offer several QPR (Question, Persuade and Refer) gatekeeper training sessions for those who want to teach others about the warning signs of suicide and mental illness.  The Street fair is also an opportunity for students to learn about local internships and career opportunities in the helping professions. Your department is invited to host an informational booth at the fair. The event is free to all UT students, faculty and staff. Stop by for fun, door prizes, and giveaways!

Topics such as mental illness, suicide prevention, career opportunities and ways to incorporate play into a wellness plan are covered at the VolAware Street fair.  In previous years, GAs have offered extra credit to students for attending the fair. Some require students to write something about their experience on a related topic while others offered credit for students who became QPR gatekeeper trainers. Students may also serve as volunteers for the street fair.  If you are interested in providing extra credit opportunities for your students, please let us know and we will provide a sign-up sheet that will be returned to you as proof of attendance. Students are also invited to join the VolAware Student Advisory Committee on suicide prevention. For more information, they may contact Amanda Alexander, committee chair at [log in to unmask]

The Stomp Out Stigma Concert and VolAware Street Fair will be fun and educational experiences.  For more information about these events, please contact Dr. Connie Briscoe, [log in to unmask], or Chandra Story, VolAware Graduate Assistant at [log in to unmask] Please pass this information along to colleagues, GTAs and students who may be interested. We hope that you plan to join us.

Thanks,
Connie S. Briscoe, Ph.D.
Assistant Director/Director of Community Intervention