From

Date

Time

Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography Chip Bruce <[log in to unmask]> 2006-06-14 16:52
From: Chip Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography

>Sorry this is so late but Connotea would appear to be an almost perfect fit
>for all that is wanted. I mean the online reference management system, from
>I played with it a bit today - started my list with the original Dillon and
>Norris JELIS reference, tagging it LIS education. I added a few others from
>JASIST, D-Lib Magazine, Library Journal, general web (here one does have to
>>> I was just wondering if you had plans to set up a Wiki or blog or
>>> something to compile your bibliography. It might be interesting to
>>> see
Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography Anita S. Coleman <[log in to unmask]> 2006-06-02 00:55
From: "Anita S. Coleman" <[log in to unmask]>
Sorry this is so late but Connotea would appear to be an almost perfect fit
for all that is wanted. I mean the online reference management system, from
I played with it a bit today - started my list with the original Dillon and
Norris JELIS reference, tagging it LIS education. I added a few others from
JASIST, D-Lib Magazine, Library Journal, general web (here one does have to
>> I was just wondering if you had plans to set up a Wiki or blog or
>> something to compile your bibliography. It might be interesting to
>> see
Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography Sue Myburgh <[log in to unmask]> 2006-05-21 20:03
From: Sue Myburgh <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
In the short run, since you have expressed an interest in Spanning the
Theory-Practice Divide in Library and Information Science, you might
Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography Crowley, Bill <[log in to unmask]> 2006-05-21 12:16
From: "Crowley, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
From: "R. David Lankes" <[log in to unmask]>
> From: "Crowley, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography
>
> complaint) that when faculty made the "information turn" we left public
> libraries without an adequate theoretical justification in the later age
> of Google. Fortunately, politicians such as Barack Obama, the junior
> I have argued, and the Canadian research in particular is demonstrating,
> that much of what you term library "entertainment" has an important
> educational function.
Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography Sue Myburgh <[log in to unmask]> 2006-05-19 21:38
From: Sue Myburgh <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
committee chair and federal relations coordinator (Indiana) where
politicians then and now speak of the value of the public library as an
educational enterprise. As a cultural pragmatist I am absolutely
equivalent. When in doubt, it is useful, per my earlier-cited article,
to look to both the law and professional practice for an understanding
of how American culture defines public libraries, school libraries, and
complaint) that when faculty made the "information turn" we left public
libraries without an adequate theoretical justification in the later age
of Google. Fortunately, politicians such as Barack Obama, the junior
I have argued, and the Canadian research in particular is demonstrating,
that much of what you term library "entertainment" has an important
educational function. In the U.S. it has long been known that grammar
fields that have different, if occasionally overlapping theoretical
concepts. Our education of practitioners needs to be based on such an
understanding if it is to even approximate their varying realities.
To: [log in to unmask]
Anyway, I have studied, lived and visited the States, and am not totally
unfamiliar with the LIS scene there. Thank goodness for jet planes.
I think it is also incumbent upon us, in LIS, to be more conciliatory
towards the 'L' and 'IS' parts of our discipline: they are mutually
tension. We also need to be aware that there are a great many jobs out
there that need precisely the skills that LIS graduates have, and
bridging this gap (and raising our profile - whichever comes first) is
Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography Sally Quiroz <[log in to unmask]> 2006-05-19 16:52
From: Sally Quiroz <[log in to unmask]>
I was just wondering if you had plans to set up a Wiki or blog or
something to compile your bibliography. It might be interesting to see
how it develops.
> library and information science. The goal is to give doctoral
> students a grounding in the field as well as see how core LIS
> principles have evolved over time. Simply put, doctoral students will
> current articles that represent current approaches to this topics (or
> both). I?ll post the completed bibliography online for all to see,
> comment upon and use.
Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography-Wyer Karen Weaver <[log in to unmask]> 2006-05-19 12:21
From: Karen Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography-Wyer
> Date: Thursday, May 18, 2006 10:05 am
> Subject: Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography
> To: [log in to unmask]
> > practices affecting fair use were being played out in the
> > entertainment world. The "I" world has reinforced an unfortunate
> > dichotomy between "information" and "entertainment" which is worthy
> > > library and information science. The goal is to give doctoral
> > > students a grounding in the field as well as see how core LIS
> > > principles have evolved over time. Simply put, doctoral students
> > > current articles that represent current approaches to this topics
> > (or> both). I'll post the completed bibliography online for all to
> > see,> comment upon and use.
Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography Crowley, Bill <[log in to unmask]> 2006-05-19 10:56
From: "Crowley, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Anyway, I have studied, lived and visited the States, and am not totally
unfamiliar with the LIS scene there. Thank goodness for jet planes.
I think it is also incumbent upon us, in LIS, to be more conciliatory
towards the 'L' and 'IS' parts of our discipline: they are mutually
tension. We also need to be aware that there are a great many jobs out
there that need precisely the skills that LIS graduates have, and
bridging this gap (and raising our profile - whichever comes first) is
Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography Sue Myburgh <[log in to unmask]> 2006-05-18 21:19
From: Sue Myburgh <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
George S. Bobinski attempted to create a "classics works in LIS" in the
And a thousand years ago when I taught the introduction to LIS course at
Buffalo, I had students search and read journal articles on a topic in LIS
> Subject: Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography
> > as see how core LIS principles have evolved over time.
> (http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/faculty/bates/substrate.html). No LIS
> bibliography would be complete without something by Jesse Shera on it, and
> of LIS? A sort of "LIStern Canon"?
Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography Sue Myburgh <[log in to unmask]> 2006-05-18 20:59
From: Sue Myburgh <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography Sue Myburgh <[log in to unmask]> 2006-05-18 20:38
From: Sue Myburgh <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
> as see how core LIS principles have evolved over time.
(http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/faculty/bates/substrate.html). No LIS
bibliography would be complete without something by Jesse Shera on it,
books of LIS? A sort of "LIStern Canon"?
Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography Sue Myburgh <[log in to unmask]> 2006-05-18 20:23
From: Sue Myburgh <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
bit pedestrian and last century." Somebody really isn't familiar with
the on the ground realities of American librarianship. To adapt an
observation of the great American jurist Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.,
survival of professional public/academic/school librarianship at a time
when seemingly everyone is an "information" provider. Candidly speaking,
practitioners in the more traditional "library" fields are now reaping
Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography Crowley, Bill <[log in to unmask]> 2006-05-18 17:07
From: "Crowley, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
From: LOUISE S ROBBINS <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, May 18, 2006 10:05 am
To: [log in to unmask]
> practices affecting fair use were being played out in the
> entertainment world. The "I" world has reinforced an unfortunate
> dichotomy between "information" and "entertainment" which is worthy
> > library and information science. The goal is to give doctoral
> > students a grounding in the field as well as see how core LIS
> > principles have evolved over time. Simply put, doctoral students
> > current articles that represent current approaches to this topics
> (or> both). I’ll post the completed bibliography online for all to
> see,> comment upon and use.
Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography Christopher Brown-Syed <[log in to unmask]> 2006-05-18 10:22
From: Christopher Brown-Syed <[log in to unmask]>
>Speaking of bibliographies, does anyone have source beside Ulrich's of
>bibliography of foreign LIS journals.

Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography Christopher Brown-Syed <[log in to unmask]> 2006-05-18 10:18
From: Christopher Brown-Syed <[log in to unmask]>
>Speaking of bibliographies, does anyone have source beside Ulrich's of
>bibliography of foreign LIS journals.

Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography Mary K Chelton <[log in to unmask]> 2006-05-18 09:50
From: Mary K Chelton <[log in to unmask]>
practices affecting fair use were being played out in the
entertainment world. The "I" world has reinforced an unfortunate
dichotomy between "information" and "entertainment" which is worthy
> library and information science. The goal is to give doctoral
> students a grounding in the field as well as see how core LIS
> principles have evolved over time. Simply put, doctoral students will
> current articles that represent current approaches to this topics (or
> both). I’ll post the completed bibliography online for all to see,
> comment upon and use.
Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography Wen-Chin Lan <[log in to unmask]> 2006-05-18 03:39
> > The goal is to give doctoral students a grounding in the field as well
> > as see how core LIS principles have evolved over time.
>
> Science" article.
> (http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/faculty/bates/substrate.html). No LIS
> bibliography would be complete without something by Jesse Shera on it,
> and of course, S.R. Ranganathan.
> Maybe a good collective project would be a "top 100" list of the great
> books of LIS? A sort of "LIStern Canon"?

Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography R. David Lankes <[log in to unmask]> 2006-05-17 21:00
From: "R. David Lankes" <[log in to unmask]>
From: Judy Marley <[log in to unmask]>
From: Lorna Peterson <[log in to unmask]>

> George S. Bobinski attempted to create a "classics works in LIS" in the
> late 1970s. The idea was monographs only, U.S. authors or U.S. works,
>
> And a thousand years ago when I taught the introduction to LIS course at
> Buffalo, I had students search and read journal articles on a topic in LIS
> for each decade from 1820 through the 1990s. From this assignment they
> > To: [log in to unmask]
> > Subject: Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography
> >
> > > The goal is to give doctoral students a grounding in the field as well
> > > as see how core LIS principles have evolved over time.
> >
> > Marcia Bates' "The Invisible Substrate of Information Science" article.
> > (http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/faculty/bates/substrate.html). No LIS
> > bibliography would be complete without something by Jesse Shera on it, and
> > of course, S.R. Ranganathan.
> > Maybe a good collective project would be a "top 100" list of the great books
> > of LIS? A sort of "LIStern Canon"?

Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography Lorna Peterson <[log in to unmask]> 2006-05-17 12:43
From: Lorna Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography
>
> > The goal is to give doctoral students a grounding in the field as well
> > as see how core LIS principles have evolved over time.
>
> Marcia Bates' "The Invisible Substrate of Information Science" article.
> (http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/faculty/bates/substrate.html). No LIS
> bibliography would be complete without something by Jesse Shera on it, and
> of course, S.R. Ranganathan.
> Maybe a good collective project would be a "top 100" list of the great books
> of LIS? A sort of "LIStern Canon"?

Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography Bob Allen <[log in to unmask]> 2006-05-17 10:26
From: Bob Allen <[log in to unmask]>
> The goal is to give doctoral students a grounding in the field as well
> as see how core LIS principles have evolved over time.
Science" article.
(http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/faculty/bates/substrate.html). No LIS
bibliography would be complete without something by Jesse Shera on it,
and of course, S.R. Ranganathan.
Maybe a good collective project would be a "top 100" list of the great
books of LIS? A sort of "LIStern Canon"?
Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography Michele Pope <[log in to unmask]> 2006-05-17 10:11
From: Michele Pope <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
> The goal is to give doctoral students a grounding in the field as well
> as see how core LIS principles have evolved over time.
Science" article.
(http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/faculty/bates/substrate.html). No LIS
bibliography would be complete without something by Jesse Shera on it,
and of course, S.R. Ranganathan.
Maybe a good collective project would be a "top 100" list of the great
books of LIS? A sort of "LIStern Canon"?
Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography Suzanne Stauffer <[log in to unmask]> 2006-05-17 10:03
From: Suzanne Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
From: Ruth Fenske <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
> The goal is to give doctoral students a grounding in the field as well
> as see how core LIS principles have evolved over time.
Marcia Bates' "The Invisible Substrate of Information Science" article.
(http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/faculty/bates/substrate.html). No LIS
bibliography would be complete without something by Jesse Shera on it, and
of course, S.R. Ranganathan.
Maybe a good collective project would be a "top 100" list of the great books
of LIS? A sort of "LIStern Canon"?
Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography Christopher Brown-Syed <[log in to unmask]> 2006-05-17 00:50
From: Christopher Brown-Syed <[log in to unmask]>
> The goal is to give doctoral students a grounding in the field as well
> as see how core LIS principles have evolved over time.
Science" article.
(http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/faculty/bates/substrate.html). No LIS
bibliography would be complete without something by Jesse Shera on it,
and of course, S.R. Ranganathan.
Maybe a good collective project would be a "top 100" list of the great
books of LIS? A sort of "LIStern Canon"?
Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography Crowley, Bill <[log in to unmask]> 2006-05-16 21:57
From: "Crowley, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Compiling an LIS Bibliography
students a grounding in the field as well as see how core LIS
both). I'll post the completed bibliography online for all to see,
Re: Compiling an LIS Bibliography Sue Myburgh <[log in to unmask]> 2006-05-16 20:13
From: Sue Myburgh <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
students a grounding in the field as well as see how core LIS
both). I'll post the completed bibliography online for all to see,
Compiling an LIS Bibliography R. David Lankes <[log in to unmask]> 2006-05-16 10:51